Thursday, December 24, 2009

MERRY CHRISTMAS KIBBLES


It's Christmas Eve and when the yard squirrels wake up in the morning there will be a basket of goodies beneath their tree. For my Kibbles there will be green pepper slices and sliced mushrooms--grapes and snap peas--and of course nuts--shelled for instant gratification and whole for hiding in the million and one places she keeps her stash. I know that this coming year I'm gonna get conked in the head by a constant supply of squirreled away nuts.

For my girl, every day is Christmas. She's snug in her saucer now--her little fleece hidey-hole--warm and safe from predators. She's on her back--head peeking out--sleepy eyes drooping. She is heart meltingly cute. Her little hands are folded like a child's and when she tucks in to sleep her tail will fan over her like a blanket.

I've had children--watched them grow up and move away. Sometimes I hear their young voices in dreams and when I wake up there's an ache for those childhoods past. If Kibbles decides she isn't cut out for the life of an inside squirrel I love her enough to set her free, but oh it's gonna hurt.

For now, it's Christmas Eve and I'm blessed with Kibbles--burning into my heart with her trust, her absolute joy for life and the vision of her sleepy face looking right at me. I don't know if animals like Kibbles love but I'm betting they do in their own perfect way. All is calm. All is bright. Sleep in heavenly peace little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment